Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Poem of the Week 9/25/2006: from The Merchant of Venice

from The Merchant of Venice, Act 3 Scene 2

Madam, you have bereft me of all words.
Only my blood speaks to you in my veins,
And there is such confusion in my powers
As after some oration finally spoke
By a beloved prince, there doth appear
Among the buzzing pleased multitude,
Where every something being blent together
Turns to a wild nothing save of joy
Expressed and not expressed.

William Shakespeare

We are reading this play in my Shakespeare class, and this small exerpt leapt straight into my mind and hasn't left since. It is such a gem, a pure distillation of love. Oh gorgeous.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Note to Self:

When situation doth arise, do not accept proposal of marriage until said passage is uttered.